Sunday, October 14, 2007

8 Years Ago...



Eight years ago today, my grandpa passed away. He was and still is one of my very most favorite people in the whole entire world. He taught me so many life lessons, but the one that stands out most is one that I believe he was not aware that he was teaching. My grandpa taught me how to be like Christ. Lyle Cottam did not go to church for a great part of his life, but you would never know that if you saw that way that he treated others. He was kind and generous to those that he was closest to and also to those that he saw on the street who needed a helping hand. He was always slipping me a little cash on the sly each time that I saw him, which was a great treat as a college kid stranded far from home. I also know of one particular time that he saw a man that was obviously very hungry on the street who was asking for money. Grandpa did not give him money. Instead, he walked the man to a nearby restaurant and told him to order anything that he would like. The man was shocked, yet proceeded to order and eat. He even had pie. When my grandpa told this story I never got the feeling that he was trying to show me how wonderful that he was, I just remember the glean in his eye at the memory of bringing so much joy into a stranger's life.
Sometimes I am sad that my children will not know my grandpa in this life, but they each have a piece of him in their being. Taylor has his beautiful blue eyes, and Lylee will forever bear his name. I will make sure that they both know of this man that I loved so dearly and pray that a part of his goodness lives in them as well. I want them to know as much about their grandparents and great-grandparents as possible.
So instead of being sad today for the loss of a dear loved one, I will be happy that a part of him is here with me, and know that I am responsible for nurturing that pure love of others that exists in my little children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no doubt about it to me that one of the reasons that grandpa had to go so soon was to teach our kids that things that they need to know... and boy, the things that they know. I think that they are lucky that they got to spend so much time with him before they were/are able to come to us...there is a bit of him in each great-grand kid... i can't wait to see what tricks my lil tike is going to bring with them from grandpa; i'm hoping that it'll be the wink when i kiss them on their cheek, that was always my favorite!

Becca said...

How neat that Lylee has his name. I wondered where you got that name - it's so unique and beautiful. My grandpa's name is Lyle too - another amazing man.