Sunday, December 23, 2007

Happy Happy Meal

I wanted to post this experience, mostly so that I wouldn't forget. A few days ago I took the kids to Walmart, which is a bit insane this time of year. Getting out of the parking lot was a little bit crazy and complicated. Finally, after waiting patiently for several minutes someone let us into the line to get out. There was a man standing on the side of the road with a sign that he needed money. He was obviously in need and I knew that I had five dollars, so I stopped and rolled down the window and gave the man the money and said "Merry Christmas". As we pulled away, Taylor stated that he "needed" a Happy Meal. I asked him if he saw me give some money to the man that was standing on the road. Taylor said yes. I told him that the man didn't have any money to buy a Happy Meal so I gave him our Happy Meal money. Taylor stopped, thought for a minute (I think about how sad it would be to not be able to buy a Happy Meal), he looked out the window and said, "Oh... Merry Christmas!!"

I think at that moment it clicked in his head that not everyone has the same things that we do. I am very thankful that I am able to buy my son a Happy Meal now and then and I am also thankful that he is able to understand that we can help other people and make them happy when we are willing to give up some of the "things" that we are used to having.

Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: