Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bad Mommy Moment


Last week Taylor had his swim lessons, and he loved them, except for the last one on Friday. He didn't want to get in the pool. Once he got in, he didn't want anything to do with either or his teachers. He completely ignored both of them for the first several minutes of the 30 minute lesson. Eventually he gave in and happily participated.
On Saturday, he mentioned that his neck and throat hurt a little. I gave him some Tylenol and he seemed better except that he has been a disaster child and has been acting naughty all week. He and I have been butting heads daily.
Yesterday I was telling Taylor that I had to go to the doctor and that I needed him to be my big helper since Daddy would be working. Taylor looked at me and told me that he needed to go to the doctor too. I asked him what was wrong with him and he told me that his neck and throat were still hurting. I wasn't sure and felt a little silly calling the doctor. I decided I'd rather look like a moron for taking a healthy kid to the doctor than have a sick kid and not know it. So I canceled my appointment and we went to our pediatrician.
Taylor hopped right up on the table, opened his mouth wide and said AAAHHH. She looked in his throat and told me that it was bright red. Then she looked in his ears, looked at me and asked if we'd been swimming. I felt terrible as the past week flashed through my head. She told us that he has swimmer's ear in both ears and gave us an RX for ear drops. Taylor hopped off the table and asked if he could please have his sucker now. The doctor got out the sucker box and Taylor and Lylee each picked out their reward.



9 comments:

Becca said...

Poor guy! I've had swimmer's ear with internal ear infections and that hurts - I remember crying at night as a teenager! He's a brave little guy!

Kerstin said...

FYI: Swim ear plugs would eliminate that problem. Poor guy! Hope YOU are doing okay (since you had to cancel your appointment). I think this is a GOOD mommy moment since you listened to Taylor and got everything on the way to getting better. :)

Nat~Nat said...

We've tried ear plugs before and there's not a chance on this planet that he will wear them. The doctor did tell us to put a mix of vinegar and rubbing alcohol in his ears after swimming in the future. Neither sound like fun options to me, but both are better than a sick kid.

Kerstin said...

Have you tried the custom made swim plugs? He could pick the color....even up to three colors swirled together! Even red! That might make it a little bit more fun for him.... I looked it up and they come in the following colors: white, black, red, blue, yellow, orange, green, forest green, pink, gray, purple, beige, and brown. :)

Good luck!

Nat~Nat said...

Kerstin, where do I find them. Taylor might actually try them if could get RED.

Nat~Nat said...

Kerstin, where do I find them. Taylor might actually try them if could get RED.

Kerstin said...

Any audiologist should be able to do it. I would recommend one that works with kids...I looked online and Sutter Roseville Medical Center supposedly has pediatric audiology services. Call and ask the audiology department that you need swimmer's plugs and would prefer Westone's "Aquanot". The should know what you are talking about. Call me if any questions. :) I have some and have swirled blue and white (looks like the sky, really pretty).

Kerstin said...

Also....ask for the price up front and prepare Taylor that they will need to put some stuff in his ear...:)

mj said...

arg...swimmers ear. Spent my childhood dealing with that. The most important thing for me to do was learn how to make the water drain out of my ears. the best plugs i used looked like silly putty, you fit them to your ear each time you wear them. I got them at sports authority. good luck!