Thursday, April 3, 2008

First Dentist Visit

I have been dreading our first dentist's visit with Taylor for a long time. He is very apprehinsive about letting people look in his mouth, let alone put their hands in their. I asked around and got some great referrals to pediatric dentists in the area. Then I found out that there is not a single pediatric dentist in our area that is "in network" for our insurance. I had to have some work done on my teeth and so I was asking my doctor what he thought and he told me to bring Taylor and see how he did.

We spent a week mentally preparing Taylor for his appointment. We went yesterday afternoon. He even took his big Grave Digger monster truck to help him be brave. The kids had fun in the waiting room. They both love the huge salt water aquarium and Taylor built Lego buildings while Lylee kept herself busy picking the extra Legos up off the floor and putting them back in the box.

We went back into the room and everything started out surprisingly well. I parked Lylee's stroller so she had a good seat for all the action. Taylor climbed right up in the chair, then the assistant put the bib-thing on him. He jumped from the chair right into my lap. One of the other girls came in and put Sponge Bob on the TV. He slowly calmed down. He hated the moving chair, so they layed the chair back and then tried to put him in. Nope, not a chance that he was going in there. One of the girls, we had an audience the whole time, suggested that I get in the chair and put Taylor on my lap. They left the chair laying all the way back to that Taylor wasn't more scared. I, not very gracefully climbed in the upside-down-backwards chair and Taylor climbed on my lap. The TV was situated so that Taylor could still watch TV and the dentist, very patiently did a visual inspection of Taylor's teeth. He said that Taylor's teeth look fantastic, which if you had any idea how not fantastic my teeth are is a huge relief.

We survived!!!!

Taylor got to pick a toy from the prize chest. He picked a jump rope. I think I should have gotten a prize too. Oh well. Anyway, we go back in six months and they'll try X-rays. I'm really thankful for a patient dentist and office staff.



2 comments:

mj said...

yikes...so many not fun things to make your child go through for their own good. as if immunizations weren't enough! i had to go to the dentist yesterday too. wish they put sponge bob on for me!

Becca said...

So glad you both survived! Caleb has always had a hard time with the dentist and doctor but just in the last year or so has started to really look forward to going - it took a great dentist and doctor to make that change. So glad there are a few of those around!